Sunday, October 5, 2008

Roses for Spring







Spring is the perfect time of the year in Brisbane, the humidity and heat of summer have not arrived yet and my winter pruned roses are in full bloom. The view from my study window is so beautiful and the gentle breezes waft in the most divine smells of the traditional, old-fashioned roses that Ivan planted for me. I am always torn as to whether to cut a vase full for the house, or to leave them blooming so beautifully on the bushes.


I have an amazing collection of colours, including a beautiful 'blue rose' that is almost lilac in colour. It is special to Ivan as it is the same cultivar as a rose his Mum grew in her garden when he was a child. My special yellow rose that Matthew bought me for my first Christmas in Brisbane is also strong and healthy.


Yellow roses of course are my total favourites, these were the colour of my wedding bouquet and they represent friendship! I also love the stunningly deep red of an old-fashioned rose that has a fragrance that draws you in for a breath.
The photos above are of the ones that are in full bloom today, as others come into their own, I will share them with you all.
I hope you enjoy my Rose Garden!











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful roses, and wonderful photos as well. I am struggling with the ones I have at the moment, I think they are not getting enough sun. Quite agree that it is a toss up between a vase and the garden. Thanks for sharing the photos with us