Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Early Mornings

I have discovered the joy of early mornings!

With the onset of the warmer weather, we sleep with our bedroom window wide open, which lets in cool breezes, but also the sounds of the traffic. I huff and puff in frustration every morning at 4.45am as those first cars drive past and wake we. Three thoughts then occur, first of all Abby (our dog) needs letting out of the laundry and I know that within the next 30-45 minutes I am going to have to get up to let her out. Secondly, Ivan is away, so I can't leave it to him and thirdly we live in a 'stupid' state that does not have 'daylight saving.' It is light at 5.00am and over the next few months will get lighter even earlier. So I drag myself out of bed, switch on the computer on the way past the study and let the dog out. She is always so excited to see me and to get her breakfast. She acts as though she has never been fed in her entire life and quivers while I put fresh water in her bowl and make her sit and shake her paw - what a life!

On the way back through the kitchen I pick up a glass of orange juice and head to the study. By now the computer has beeped and clicked its way awake and is ready for me to check emails and write to you all. I open the study window wide, the smell of my rose garden wafts gently through and the morning sun begins to turn everything golden. Bird song and of course the occasional 'car' sounds (like the ones that woke me) are the only noises. The click of my finger nails on the keyboard and my thoughts keep me company as I update my Blog.

I have discovered a time of peace and silence, a time for me! My children slumber peacefully in their rooms. In the next half hour (now 5.44am) I will have to wake each of them with varying degrees of success and frustration, and then start the dreaded school lunches and breakfast, but for now I have the morning peace to myself.

I like early mornings!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well there is one thing for sure, you are getting OLD. Only old people actually get up so early !!!! LOL

Unknown said...

You make it sound very peaceful and refreshing, but I have to agree with dinosaur! You are getting old! LOL! Never mind at least you are making the most of 'less sleep'.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, my friend, only the BEST people in the whole Blogosphere are up that early. Welcome to my Reality! :)

Beverly said...

To the two family members who were so rude, no I am not getting 'old', but younger and more inspired by the day. :)
To my wonderful friend, yes, I can't switch off my brain! :)