Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Email messages!

What do you do with your email messages?

This morning I decided to try and clean up my Inbox and also Sent messages, well I had over 2000 messages in my Inbox and over 1700 in my Sent box - Oops!

I began by deleting all the useless ones, you know those stock standard messages from organisations that you belong to, then I began by deleting everything that was not from 2008, this still left hundreds, so took it one step further. I have decided to delete everything except essential emails regarding business and emails from Nov/Dec 2008. I must admit this was very hard to do. I am a hoarder, especially of knowledge and words and so I need to figure out a way to keep my emails. (any suggestions?)

My Sent Items Box was amazing, so many emails to friends and this is the one that is the most difficult to clean out. I have held onto many emails as I have realised that they are almost a diary of my life. I have a very special friend who I email almost everyday and just spending a few minutes (no it took longer than that) reading some of the emails I have sent over the last year, tell a story of my life.

As it is 30 December 2008 however, and we are about to enter a New Year, a little cleaning is in order. I like starting the New Year clean and tidy, organised both in the physical and mental realm. So today I have cleaned out just a little! Do you tidy up your life before the end of the year?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes! Although I am sidetracked by trying to do some RELAXING, while I'm doing that I am Mentally Decluttering. I have the same problems with my email ... but I've decided that the knowledge I need will always be in my mind so I can clean out my email folders entirely. :)

Beverly said...

I know but I love all the inspiring messages - may have to just bite the bullet and do the same!

Unknown said...

Try this:
Right-Click on your Personal Folders and choose 'New Folder'
Call it something like 'Storage'
Then Right-Click on 'Storage' and start creating folders for things like 'Family', 'Friends', 'Finance' etc and under those you can create sub-folders.
You can then drag emails as they came in our go out to the proper folders.
That gets them out of your in-box and sent-to items and into some sort of order.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I create folders, Ian - great idea for Beverly!

Bev, I am going to clean out my folders, too.

Yipee!

Beverly said...

Thank you for your suggestions, I will set this up for 2009.