Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Memories

Yesterday I was watching the Oprah Winfrey Show and she had a guest that remembered 'everything' in her life especially from the the age of 12, although can recall events from the crib!
It was amazing to listen to her recalling the day (eg Friday) of dates and amazing events that occurred on that day as well as personal experiences that occurred years previously. She never forgets! She could even tell Oprah about shows that Oprah had done many years previously and the day and date that they had been aired.

However, along with the memories, she also remembers the emotions and feelings. Now for wonderful experiences like a birthday or a celebration that would be wonderful, but she also remembers and feels all the pain of every insult she has ever received and every hurt that she has experienced (including the death of her husband and the pain of his loss).

It got me thinking about my memories!

Over the past 4 years I have been dealing with painful past memories and re-living the events as well as the hurt that I felt. I had successfully 'forgotten' so much, but in dealing with these issues, I had to relive and re- experience the pain. Memory is so important to us as humans, but I have realised so to is forgetting.

My little brother used to say "I have a good forgetter" when he had forgotten to do something; not "I have a bad memory" and I guess that is a great way of looking at things. Sometimes it is essential to our lives that we do forget, we can live easier if we remember the good and let go of the 'bad' or painful.

I wonder how much of your life you remember and in what detail, do you remember the emotions or just the events and do you remember the small daily things of life? Or are your memories only filled with the big picture items?

A journal helps us to remember the small things in life and often opens the filing drawer to fill in all the gaps. Writing is my gift to myself, it allows me to remember, that is why I love scrapbooking or 'memory-keeping'. I want to leave a memory-legacy to say I have lived and this is my life!

Do you remember or do you forget?

1 comment:

darlin said...

Today I remember, not with sadness or strife but with gratitude and love!

Thank you for your inspirational words! You do have a gift, one which is very apparent to me as I sit here and read your blog, that gift is words, and how you convey your feelings and attitudes through your words choices. I feel your positive outlook on life! :-)