Monday, July 18, 2011

A Mixed Bag of News

First of all - hello to you all!  It has been a few days since my last post. 

Recovery from my surgery is going really well - have my stitches out and a clean bill of health. Fatty food doesn't taste as good, so an improvement in my diet is under way. A good move for sure as my surgeon advised that without a gallbladder there is a tendancy to get fat! Yikes! I don't need that thank you.  It is good though, as I enjoying the lower fat foods already.  My scars are healing, and the bruises fading. Unfortunately, one has 'keloided' - a problem I have suffered in the past - a curse of such a fair skin.

Another medical update is that Dad had his hand surgery (pins in three joints on his right hand) on Friday and all went well.
 Yesterday he was feeling well enough to enjoy some sunshine, sitting outside reading a book.  We took Cleo down for a visit on her new harness.  Now this may seem really strange, but we are teaching her to exercise outside and walk on a harness.
 At first she lay flat on the ground, but soon started exploring.
 The reason for the harness and keeping her as an inside cat, is that Australian wildlife is extremely vulnerable to cats (and dogs). We have managed to train both of our dogs not to chase birds, but with a cat it is an instinct that you cannot change. We have an amazing array of birdlife in our garden which we feed, as well as lizards. So this will be the only way we can allow her some freedom. 
 The same morning we had over 14 Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's at the feeder as well as short-billed Corellas. So it would be shame to allow her to chase them away, or worse kill any. Not that she would stand a chance again these birds :)

Now for the best photo of all:  My Mum has always disliked Cats - and we wondered how she would take to Cleo, well this photo says it all.  She totally loves this beautiful, little kitten and holds her as often as she can.  So Granny had a cuddle with a very happy Cleo, who enjoyed the cuddle.
A good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

darlin said...

The photos of your mom and dad are so adorable, it's funny for someone who doesn't like cats this photo tells me a different story! lol I'm glad to hear that your dad's surgery went well. I think that's amazing you can get your cat on a leash, not many cats will let you do that, actually most likely none I've ever known! lol

Have a great rest of the week! I'm super busy on this end but I'll get back to visit with you here all in good time. I know you totally understand renovations. :-)