Wednesday, March 11, 2009

1000 years to live

This morning standing in the shower, (Yes, this is where I often receive inspirational thoughts!)
I began to think about living forever. This is such a big concept that I narrowed it down to 1000 years, don't ask me why I thought that 1000 years was more manageable than forever, but it has an end - so I guess it is?

I was thinking what kind of life would I live, what activities would I fill a single day with. Do you know I could plant a seed for a giant tree and water, nurture and watch it grow and even watch it die. I could take the time to grow a thousand gardens, each one unique. I could learn to play a musical instrument - to perfection. To take the time to practice each and everyday, because I would have the time to learn.

Lifetimes are short and busy and rushed and filled with possessions and responsibilities, but if we lived for 1000 years, all of that would shift. A car that is designed to last for just 20 years if we are lucky, would need replacing 50 times. How important would it be?

Would I be the only person in my world that lived for 1000 years and how much would I miss my family, as they grow old and leave me? Would it be any different to love, the love of a child whose life would be less than one-tenth of my own? Could I love more than once?

I wonder at what age I would stay, would I be a child for 1000 years, a child that loves and experiences magic in everyday things, or an adult who sees the good and the bad and feels responsible for fixing everything.

Would the world be threatened by me or maybe I would be seen as a 'goddess!' Someone sought after for the knowledge of the ages, maybe my age would need to be kept secret, so that I had to move regularly.

Would you want to live for 1000 years? Something to think about for today!

3 comments:

Jenny Adams said...

I'd say you've been reading the Twilight series - this was definitely something to ponder as i read those books - and 1,000 years with Edward Cullen would be dreamy...
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Give me a break, it is a battle to live for today !!.On the other hand, like the idea of having a long life to be able to achieve the things you long to do but somehow never get around to it. I would like to age through the time though, otherwise one would never know your children, never watch them getting married and will never have know the joy of holding your first grandchild.

The way medical science is going ahead in leaps and bounds, makes one think "just how long can we live"

darlin said...

Hi there,
this is too uncanny, I also get many inspirational thoughts while I'm in the shower! I am going to have to start keeping a log of all of my "shower brilliance" lol

1000 years, that's a very long time but you just never know with modern medicine! I have a friend who just turned 73, his 102 year old mother still tells him what to do! This is so funny, sweet, yet funny! :-)

Have a great one!