Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday study!


Today has been a day for computer work. I was working on my computer in the study on my very first major assignment. A blog post for my World Religions course on the Papal apology issued at World Youth Day in Australia. It is a really interesting subject and I am finding that I am loving the research aspect of University.


Elizabeth was sitting in her room at her desk working on an essay on 'Women in Politics in Ancient Rome' - Heavy Stuff!
Ivan had set up his work computer at the dining room table (with the best view of the garden) and was working on his Board presentation papers.



It struck me how industrious we all were and also how privileged we are to have access to three computers in just one household. We actually have four of them, as Matthew has his own laptop as well. The computer has become as essential to work, as paper and pencil were years ago. We can talk to the world via email and blogs, research journals and books written in far off places and long ago and write amazing articles on anything we wish and publish them for the world to read via a Blog. I just love living in the 21st Century.



3 comments:

darlin said...

A homeful of studious people I see Beverly! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your studies, I'm up at the crack of dawn to hit the books here as well!
I did a blog here a few days back on a power pole, how we are all so used to our modern technology and I feel for the student of the past that had to sit in the library with pen in hand, do their research the tough way, then go find a typewriter to clank out their essays on! Thank God for modern technology!
Have a good one, I love peeking into your blog every now and again, one fellow student to another! I can completely relate to the studies!

Beverly said...

Thank you Darlene, for the lovely supportive comment. I was a first year student at University 26 years ago and remember well, the hours in the library and frustrations of trying to find information. Give me today and forget the 'good old days.'

Unknown said...

Here's a thought though. Has the internet and the availability of instantaneous Google search limited our original thought, our ability to innovate. It's all too easy these days to say; if it's not on Google it doesn't exist! :)
But then how were computers invented, how do we know that coffee is good (sort've) and cocaine is bad? :)
You get my point? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Google and couldn't live without it (and the many fascinating useful sites that you can link to from your search). It's just that one has to wonder for our younger generation who all too easily give up when they can't find it quickly and easily, or don't have the ability to theorise or imagine solutions to unknown problems.
But hey for every day Q&A and just getting to know the world better and see it in all it's glory it's amazing. Was watching a documentary on the Hawaiian volcanoes on the weekend and thought that my sister had been so lucky to have been there, but there I was, watching in High-Definition how the lava is flowing into the sea - and I was amazed (and counted myself lucky to have seen this even if just in video). I love technology! :)
Good luck - keep up the hard work y'all.