Thursday, April 9, 2009

Haircut and Uni

Today is our last day of lectures for a week. We have mid-semester break over Easter. I have plans for some study, but also lots of family time. I am also having my hair trimmed before heading off to Uni for my midday lecture.

The children are all sound asleep, taking full advantage of the holidays. I love it now they are older and have a good lie-in. I wish my brain was not on full alert and thinking all the time about assignments.

My big problem at the moment is that I have to think of a 'short story' for our creative writing task. It has to be a 2300 word story and I have to have the pitch ready by May 6th, and I don't have a clue! Now I am the queen of inspirational story writing, but give me a topic, or a character and I can write anything. The problem is that I can't focus, I can't begin and I have writer's block or maybe writer's overload - too many ideas and no focus.

So if anyone wants to inspire me with a title, character or story hint, just fire away. All ideas gratefully received and filed for future use.

Have a wonderful Easter and a great break.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you tried 'free' writing? Sit down in front of the computer and literally just start typing - ANYTHING. As you said you have all these ideas in your head but they are busy clobbering each other. So start putting them down on 'paper'. Do NOT give any consideration to structure, spelling, grammar or any of that stuff. Just write. Watch a theme will start to emerge and that will be your topic. Try it. Disengage brain and just dump your thoughts out onto paper and see what the predominant theme is. Good luck!

darlin said...

Hi there Beverly,
Are you to write about anything at all? I just finished up a story of mine here that had to deal with the three levels of social work, the personal level, the cultural level and the structural level. I took a way different spin on this one, if you would like to read it I can email it to you, or you can email me at darlenemarchuk@yahoo.ca
It might inspire something within you and like your friend Ian said, free writing is something which I love to do, I just write whatever comes into my head and next thing I know I hit something that I become passionate about and then look out, I take off like someone put fire under my butt! lol

Michelle said...

How wonderful it is to ask for suggestions for your short story and already 2 people are helping out! Fantastic!

For what it's worth, I agree with both Ian and Darlin. Free writing is fabulous ... or you could just 'phone a friend' and see what comes up!