Thursday, May 17, 2012

When it is raining - smile at the rainbow

Dancing in puddles is such a joyous and beautiful thing to do, but one seldom done by adults.
I grew up in a place that had summer rain, heavy, warm, summer rain and one of our school rules, was that we were not allowed to walk home in our leather school shoes.  Now that may seem contrary to the idea of sensible ideas, but shoes were expensive and getting them soaked ruined them.  We took them off and walked home bare-foot splashing in puddles and enjoying the rain.  Raincoats were useless as the rain soon soaked us all. By the time we got home, our clothes and hair were plastered to our bodies, but our shoes were dry.

Tonight it is raining, a soft rain, interspersed with sunshine and rainbows. My memory is of playing in those puddles.

What are your puddles?

3 comments:

Mom said...

My puddle is Gene Kelly singing in the rain. Dad hated that song. I loved it because it gave a sense of freedom and who cares if you dance in the rain. What a wonderful feeling, I'm happy again

darlin said...

My favorite puddle is at the bottom of a slide. I used to find the slide with the biggest puddle at the bottom when it was raining and go down the slide and what fun that was... I hope it rains here before I leave, I'll have to find me a slide! :-)

When I spotted the title of your blog it reminded me of that saying "If you want to see a rainbow, you've got to stand a little rain"... how true that it as I reflect back on the sleepless nights writing papers and knowing this degree is only an arms length away.

Have a wonderful weekend Beverly!

Michelle said...

What a lovely walk down memory lane, Beverly! Your post reminded me of telling Kels that she could walk and splash in any of the puddles she liked, as she crossed the school oval to the car, as long as she took off her shoes! I recall being looked at quizzically by other parents who kind of disapproved ... I thought that a 'puddle-splashing' opportunity was too good to miss so wanted to encourage the magic for Kels while be a little bit practical.