Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

We have just had one of the busiest weeks we have had in years.

Friends from the USA came and stayed for 4 intense days of chatting, catching up, having fun and just hanging out. Sandy and Charlie are the most amazing couple I know. Both in their sixties, they have the energy and zest of 20 year olds. Both amazingly fit they bounce through life dragging you along with them.

As houseguests they were wonderful, happy to get up at 5am and let the dog out, feed her and make their own breakfasts before heading out for a morning walk. Always ready to dive into helping in the kitchen or with washing etc and more than ready to feed or keep themselves entertained.

Then today I had the joy of acting as hostess to the wife of a business colleague of Ivan's from South Africa (my home country). Catherine and her beautiful girls Olivia 4 and Pippa nearly 2 spent the day with me, while their Daddy conducted business with Ivan. I was daunted by the idea of playing hostess to them (I have sort of outgrown young children), but I so enjoyed the most delightful morning with an inspiring 4 year old, who has a vocabulary that would put most adults to shame. She lit up my life with delight and joy and I am only sorry I didn't have my camera with me to capture her beauty as she enjoyed a chocolate ice-cream that covered her whole mouth. Little Pippa was so adorable and despite coping with the difficulties of travelling with such young children and dealing with strangers, Catherine and I enjoyed a few hours of chatting and sharing experiences of living in Australia. I think I found in that beautiful child all the delight I have missed of having young children around me. For the first time ever, I realised that I am going to enjoy being a grandmother one day - no not too soon, but I know that I am going to love it.

Life has been extremely hectic for weeks now and the overwhelming feeling of it all has sort of got to me, but as I have sat here to write, I realise that I will cope. Things will slow down a little and I will capture some sense of order and serenity. Hopefully all this will occur soon, as from March 1st, I am back at uni and then who knows how I will feel.

Okay busy world, here I come. Enough dallying in front of the computer screen.

1 comment:

Jenny Adams said...

I think the word busy is an understatement! I'm worn out just reading about your recent "busy"ness! I love having visitors too, but I really enjoy my space after they depart.