Friday, February 26, 2010

I am grateful!

I have always loved reading. For years I have devoured historical novels, romances, fantasty, science fiction and so many other genres. Returning to university to study I have been encouraged to read books that I otherwise would perhaps have ignored. Last year we started way back in early literature with 'Beowulf' and 'The Canterbury Tales' and this year I have been delving into Gothic literature.

As part of my degree, I am required to study Australian Literature and I must admit to having been a little reluctant. Yet, here I am having just finished my first Australian Lit. novel - Coonardoo by Katharine Susannah Prichard and I must admit to having been blown away. It is so rich in its descriptions of life in the outback of Western Australia and the relationships of whites and aboriginals. I was expecting something difficult to read, but I found myself drawn into this beautiful world.

So once more my uni is something I am grateful for.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great! :) I guess it's similar to South Africa literature but something we seemed to avoid at all costs, except those we HAD to read at school :- Herman Charles Bosman, Nadine Gordimer et al.
I am sure there are many more interesting SA authors that I would enjoy too??
Glad you're enjoying it.

Michelle said...

It's interesting that you have found a 'gem' in your reading list, Beverly ... I had exactly the same response to the same book when I was at Uni. I wonder why we don't feel inspired by our own culture's reading matter?

Mom said...

Wow, that books sounds great, yes and I agree with Ian about not wanting to read books about our own country, it also was a case of being sick and tired in a history lesson of only learning about things that happened in your own country, such as "The Great Trek", I did admire those people because no way would I have done what they did, and I still think they were quite off their tree !!!!