Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It is all about inspiring others and being inspired in return.

Why do writer's write and poet's 'poet'? I don't really know? I don't think it is only because we wish to entertain others, I think it is mostly because we have something inside us that needs to be said. The reward is when someone stands back and says: "That is fantastic" or "I loved that" or even "I hated that." With words we can inspire others, share joy, sadness, love, hate and just stories.

So I am going to share a story with you.

My Mom has a friend, they have been friends for over 40 years. Friends through good times and bad, happy times and sad and luckily now with the amazing technological age we live in; friends across the world - emailing, skyping, chatting on the phone and just staying in touch. This lovely lady is extremely talented, but like many women of her generation, she was given very little encouragement in her youth. She believed[s] that she isn't very good at things. We know different, but years of messages to the contrary take years to rewrite.

This lovely lady has been enjoying some of the poetry that I have been writing and also sharing the news of my year at university. The other day she sent Mom an email with a story idea for me. Mom told her to write it herself. Her reply: "I couldn't do that, I can't write."

Well isn't it amazing, but guess what yes she can. Below is a beautiful poem, that our dear friend has written. I am honoured and thrilled to share it with you. She has a really good sense of rythm with this poem and has used a very good 2nd and 4th line rhyming scheme. It flows, it expresses a beautiful sentiment and it is worth sharing.

So enjoy a poem, written by a talented friend, Margaret from South Africa.


A Rhyme Dedicated To My Best Friend

I have a friend from long ago
Who's heart is true and caring
She never focuses on herself
Her love is so endearing.

She loves to plan and seeks to find
Someone she can assist
She is selfless in every way
A heart you cant resist

I'm glad she is a friend of mine
We have known each other for years
If I could be as nice as her
I wouldn't cry so many tears

She's been with me through thick and thin
She's got me through hard times
I owe a lot to this dear friend
That's why I wrote this rhyme

Am I going crazy
I don't normally write a thing
It must be her good influence

Cause now I want to sing

2 comments:

Mom said...

I am sure Margaret will be very honoured that you have shared her poem on your blog. I have to admit it certainly brought tears to my eyes as the words were so special to me. Since she has owned her computer a whole new world has opened up to both of us.

darlin said...

That is fantastic! It near brought a tear to my eyes as well. How endearing and the feelings evoked are amazing. Now that is talent.

... and you can tell your friend that darlin' in Canada said that! :-)

Cheers Beverly, I think I'd best get to bed now, three hours til wake up time! Ahhhh the life of a student! lol