Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Planning a holiday

On June 4th, my first semester of university will be all over (except for an exam and one assignment), however, before I even tackle those I am going to be heading away for 4 days with my best friend.

We are going to the centre of Australia (well almost) to a town called Alice Springs. When I was a fairly young girl (around 12) I read Neville Shutte's book called 'A town like Alice.' Living as I was at the time, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would be heading to Alice Springs, but it was something that I really wanted to see. The book for those who have not read it, is not really about Alice Springs, but rather about the Japanese occupation of Malaya during the 2nd World War and the treatment of the 'white women' who they captured. It is a book about survival and the descriptions of Alice Springs, fired the imagination.

So Michelle and I are heading off together, just us two girls for a long weekend. We are planning a breakfast camel ride and probably a dinner one too, so that we can see the stars in the outback. We are also hoping to do a big day out exploring the mountains in the area. We will both have our cameras at the ready and lots of throat losenges, to ease the dry, sore throat after all the talking. It is going to be an adventure.

So today I am spending some time planning some of our activites and dreaming. Just think I will be in Alice in June - wow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Thelma and Louise" is all I can say. :)
Enjoy yourselves!

Michelle said...

Ooh, I like that analogy, Ian! That leaves us fre to do ANYTHING we like, Beverly!

Jenny Adams said...

Sounds delightful! But after Ian's comment, please do NOT hire a red convertible!!!