Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Flooding again


This morning when I left home with Elizabeth, I said to her: "I should have brought my camera with me today, look at the creeks."
Overnight and yesterday we had over 100mm, then from 7am today until when I finally got home at 4pm, after an adventurous day; we had, had another 145mm.
Mom and Dad, took the children to school this morning and Elizabeth and I headed off to university. They decided to leave carving club at lunch time, as the rain had been really heavy and by the time they got home, our pool was overflowing (despite Dad and I emptying it this morning) and the front was flooding again. This time the water had made it up onto the tiles.
You can see the wet water mark.

Dad, then spent the next two hours swinging a pick and Mom digging a ditch, to relieve the water, as it had nowhere to go.

At 1pm, Mom got hold of me, and a few minutes later Matthew phoned from school to say that the school was being evacuated. It was flooded and they were having electrical problems. Mom, then tried to get out of our area, only to find that our only access road, was cut off by flood waters across the road. With some careful, driving she managed to cross and get safely to the children.
Elizabeth and I meantime started off home in the rain, we could not see any further than one car ahead of us and at times not even that. Mom had suggested we not even try, but I wanted to be home with my children. I drove really slowly, but a detour sent us about an extra hour out of our way. A normal 40 minute drive took us over 2 hours. I am so glad that I did leave when I did, as within 20 minutes of our leaving two major roads were flooded and we would have been stuck at the shopping centre for the night.
We arrived back at the creek, across the road and just made it through home. Elizabeth, Sarah and I then did some more clearing of water out front, but now are leaving it in the hands of God, as more rain is expected.
Ivan of course is AWAY! He is always away when we have major weather events. Nevermind, we are all safe and dry at home. Better off than many houses. In some areas 85 roads are closed, there have been mudslides and major flooding.
Tomorrow we are all staying home. We will work around the property to fix it up and hopefully stay warm and start drying out.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thinking of you guys. Hang in there and be safe. Good luck cleaning up.
Lots of love
Ian

Michelle said...

What an adventure, Beverly! It's a shame that we can't get the rain to even out right down the East Coast so Melbourne can have some of it, too.

Thinking of you all ...