Thursday, July 29, 2010

Back to my studies!

Semester 2 of university has started.

I am only doing one course this semester, as I am home-schooling Sarah for term 3 and this is going to take up a lot of my time and attention. I don't want to short change her, but I also don't want to give up completely on my studies.

So I have signed up for American Literature and had my first seminar today. Dr Hilary Emmett is my lecturer and is FANTASTIC! She is so knowledgeable and interesting and we have a good size group at 22 students. The seminar will be conducted with 30 mins of background lecturing and then discussion time.

We are covering some amazing material from Walt Whitman, Hawthorne, Emmerson and Thoreau to Poe, Melville and Henry James. We then move into the 20th Century and look at Faulkner, Ginsberg and McCarthy. The reading list is extensive and I am going to experience a variety of genres and styles.

I just can't wait!

So look out for some reading recommendations and wish me luck, as I will have a 2000 word essay to write, 5 x 200 word online discussion posts and a final exam worth 50%, which will be the most difficult for me - as 'remembering' stuff is not my strongest skill.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You sound inspired, and grounded. This is absolutely what you need in your world as balance to that other amazing job of home school mum. Well done!

Mom said...

I am sure you are going to have fun with this course, you have the added advantage over lots of other students I am sure, and that is you love to read and you can read so quickly. I still remember when you were little and honestly believed there was no way you could finish a book so quickly, little did I know how clever and bright you were. Have fun this semester.

darlin said...

Beverly you will do fantastic! Taking one course will be awesome, you only have to learn one thing vs. trying to cram for 5 final exams! I like how excited you sound, you go girl and show them what you got!