Friday, May 23, 2014

Day Two

Yesterday I went and had my first IV treatment for this next cycle of chemotherapy. The treatment is in two parts - the first part is called Avastin - a biological protein destroyer - that targets the proteins on the cancer cells and the second part a traditional chemo drug - Xeloda.

It is daunting to face a box of 120 tablets, knowing I will be taking 6 tablets a day for at least the next 6 months.  My head went into immediate rebellion - with I can't/won't/don't want to.  Then I just popped the 3 tablets and swallowed them.

My oncologist has increased my pain medication 'again' and is hoping that at last I will finally get some form of relief. If this doesn't work - then I am headed for hospital to be treated by the palliative pain management team - who have great success with cancer pain. The tumours are in such an awkward place in the peritoneum and seem to be pressing on nerves and the colon.

I will be very relieved if we can get the pain under control, I can and have coped with almost everything else, but the pain is debilitating and exhausting.

Day Two of the next path of my journey.

1 comment:

Red said...

I wish you well. pain really saps energy both physical and mental.