Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Working at my craft

To be a great dancer, one must spend hours each and every day building the muscles and exercising the limbs. Learning the forms of dance and just dancing.
To be a great painter, one must draw, paint and study. Learning about colour and form, experimenting and just painting.
To be a great sports man or woman, the same rules apply, hard work and practice.

I have begun to realise that the same rules apply to being a writer, a poet. The inspirational thoughts and poems that I have written in the past can be improved. If this is my craft and my gift, then I must work at it. I must write each and every day. I must doodle with words, write dittys that will never see the light of day beyond the computer file in which they are stored. But, in doing this practice, I will learn, learn the form of writing, practice will give me the inspiration and hopefully out of all of this my great works will come.

So once more today I have been writing, writing poetry and working at my craft.

I am a writer, I am a poet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Writers write"
Remember me saying this to you a while back? Ain't it just the truth though. And you're right, it doesn't have to be publishable material all the time. That's something I learned with the photography-a-day challenge in August - just the act of taking more photo's hones your skill just that little bit more each time.

Keep at it. You're doing so great!!!
"Writers write!"

darlin said...

I agree with Ian Beverly, and you go girl! Writers do write and this is what I am wanting to have more time to do myself here! I do have the passion yet passion without works is as good as dead! I look forward to reading some of your writings in the future. For me, for now, it's all essays... all the way!