Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cuddle time - not computer time.

My beautiful daughter Sarah has just walked into the computer room and wanted a cuddle. Now I get very little time on the computer, as Matthew is always wanting to play games or maybe Sarah, so these mornings as I sit and Blog are very important to me. Normally I get up extra early to enjoy the peace and quiet before anyone wakes, to allow my thoughts to roam and be creative, sometimes writing poetry, answering emails, or just writing Blog posts. I love this time of morning when I can be alone without the demands of being wife, housekeeper and mother.

She stood with her arms out and I immediately said "Sweetheart I have given you a cuddle already - this is my computer time" to which she replied "Well Mom, I am interrupting your computer time for some cuddle time."

Wow! It hit me! I was turning down my beautiful little girl's cuddle to commune with a keyboard and screen. I swung the chair around as quick as I could, held out my arms and wrapped them around the most precious thing in the world, my little girl.

I know that there will come a time when she is too busy or maybe to far away to reach out her arms for me to cuddle her. One day there may be someone else in her life that she will reach out to, for comfort or with who she will share her joys and tears.

So I realised in that brief split second that I am going to reach out and cuddle each and everyone of my children as often and as long as they need and then add a whole lot more cuddles just for me.

The lesson that I have learnt this morning as I sat here wondering what 'inspirational' message to pass onto the world is that there is always time for a cuddle. It will not be the amazing 'poem' that I have written that Sarah will remember, or the fantastic Blog post, it will be all the cuddles and the knowledge that I never turned her down.

Do you take time to cuddle your loved ones? I guess it will only take a second or two, or do you do the dishes, answer the phone, watch TV or work/play on your computer?

Take the time for a cuddle today - both parties will walk away renewed.

Beverly

No comments: